Maharishi School is seeking qualified candidates for the following positions:
- Mathematics Teacher – grades 5-8. Teaching experience with elementary or secondary mathematics preferred.
- Dorm Parent/Supervisor – the school is looking for one full time and one part-time person to manage student life in our newly renovated dormitory for the grade 9 through 12 students living in the dorm. Housing and meals are provided as well as a salary. This could be an ideal situation for a couple.
Please send inquiries to Terry Weiss, Human Resources Director, email@example.com (641-472-9400 #5096). Including your resume is preferable. More complete job descriptions can be found on their respective tabs below.
It is the policy of Maharishi School not to discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, religion, age, political party affiliation, or actual or potential parental, family or marital status in its programs, activities, or employment practices.
Create a supportive, nurturing and safe environment:
- Promote a positive and healthy community spirit within the dorm, helping students to develop respectful friendships / relationships
- Create and oversee a routine that includes regular and consistent time for sleep, study and recreation
- Ensure that meals are adequately supervised and that students eat a well-balanced diet
- Ensure that students get regular exercise, especially outdoors, and that they maintain regular hygiene and health practices, drawing on the traditions of the community (including meditation on weekends)
- In conjunction with the school, plan weekend activities and provide transport and support; ensure everyone participates
- Arrange appropriate hospitality for parents, school visitors and duty staff
- Participate in school activities and attend performances and events that involve dorm residents
- Serve as a mediator/facilitator when necessary to provide resolutions for interpersonal conflicts between students.
Ensure health and safety standards are upheld
- Ensure the safety of the dorm at all times. Dorm Parents will follow established procedures in regards to safety and first-aid issues.
- Conduct regular drills and ensure that safety equipment (fire extinguishers, sensors) are in working order
- Ensure that exit signs and emergency contacts are posted and accessible
- Arrange doctor’s appointments and regular check-ups, providing transportation for residents
- Administer over the counter medication following proper guidance and procedure when appropriate and keep careful records
Enforce discipline, in cooperation with school authorities
- Be firm and fair with the rules
- Uphold and enforce the Maharishi School’s code of conduct, solving problems within the context of the residence but reporting serious issues to the Upper School Assistant Director.
- Record all incidents and notify parents as appropriate
- Conduct nightly check-ins and enforce curfews
- Check rooms daily for tidiness and create an opportunity for students to take responsibility for keeping shared spaces clean and orderly (i.e. chores)
Procedures and additional responsibilities
- Maintain a scheduled presence in the dorm during days and evenings. A schedule will be created to ensure student accessibility at appropriate times.
- Maintain an “on-call” status every other weekend. Dorm Parents will be on-call by always carrying their cell phone
- Attend scheduled meetings with faculty and Head of School to report on dorm life
- Assist with student arrivals and departures, room placements and room inspections.
- Order and manage supplies and oversee the budget, keeping careful records
- Communicate and work with custodial team, maintenance, IT, vendors, nurse, school counselor, teachers, and staff whenever needed
- Maintain and regularly submit paper work to the business office including: schedules, records, payments and receipts, and regular updates to the budget
- Secure transportation for all school activities and prepare necessary documents
- Experience in residential work or other relevant experience with children/young people
- Training in Counseling, Psychology, Social Work, or Child care are particularly welcomed
- Experience working with adolescents in a professional context is preferred
- Experience dealing with international students is preferred
- The ability to work efficiently and effectively in a challenging environment is essential
- A strong awareness of Health & Safety (specifically as it relates to residential accommodation and to leading sports & activities) is essential
- Regular practice of Transcendental Meditation is essential
- Strong and demonstrable organization skills are required
- Ability and disposition to solve issues and problems with/between students is required.
- Demonstrable alignment with the values and priorities of the community is required
Follow Us on Social Media:
804 Dr Robert Keith Wallace Dr.
Fairfield, IA, 52556
Tel: (641) 472-9400
Toll Free: (866) 472-6723