The core purpose of the Empty Bowl project, was for the students to raise money for local food banks as well as food for the international community, while working on project management skills. While our 8th graders worked on various layers of the project to ensure its financial success—it was more than tallying up checks, counting dollars, and change—the event strengthened our community, celebrated the preparation of a variety of delicious soups in beautiful pottery made by the students, and raised community awareness about hunger and poverty, both locally and internationally.
The students set an ambitious financial goal of raising $5000 for the Empty Bowl Project but missed the goal by only $687.19! The students were able to inspire donations and ticket sales to raise $4312.81. This is the most significant amount raised since the Maharishi School began hosting this event.
After the expenses ($154.54) were subtracted, the total being donated to Golden Magnolia Sanctuary Fairfield and World Central Kitchen for Ukraine is $4158.27—51.5% and 48.5% respectively.
- Learn how to create and set goals for a planned project.
- Project Planning and Management Interpersonal skills.
- Communication skills: sending emails, add input to newspaper articles, outreach to potential guests.
- Learn how to make ceramic bowls.
- Experience one of their 16 Principles in real time: “Thought Leads to Action, Action Leads to Achievement, Achievement Leads to Fulfillment.”
Curious about our school? Click here to see what we are all about.
Ready to apply? Click here.