Why we love a small town vibe
Maharishi School is located in Fairfield, Iowa. It’s a tiny town of 10,000 nestled among fields of corn. But don’t let the size fool you. We have a vibrant startup community that includes 400 small businesses that provide jobs to 3,000 people. Many business owners and leaders are alumni from our school and they have raised a combined $200 million in venture capital. Let me tell you some of the benefits that living in a small town can offer you.
Top 10 benefits of living in a small town
- Less Crime: Statistically speaking there are less crimes in smaller towns.
- No Traffic: Because the population is so small, you can say goodbye to rush hour! Also you don’t have to drive everywhere because many places are within walking distance.
- Strong Community: In a small town, most people know each other either directly or indirectly, which gives a sense of belonging.
- Cost of Living is Less: You can rent an entire house for the price of a tiny studio apartment in a big city! In addition the price of groceries, services, and gas is cheaper in a small town.
- Community Involvement: Fairfield has residents that are big believers in giving back to the community and Fairfield’s Jefferson County ranks fifth among all U.S. counties in per-capita charitable contributions.
- You Can See the Stars: A small town means no light pollution because there are no skyscrapers, large neon signs, or big stores to block out the light.
- Family Run Business: It is not unlikely in Fairfield that a friend of your friend owns a cafe, or is opening a new restaurant on the town square. Many of the businesses you go into are owned and run by local families.
- Locally sourced food-Our town has a deep commitment to sustainability. This has led to a boost in organic farming which allows us to offer fresh farm-to-table food at Maharishi School and has made Fairfield, Iowa the 5th largest market for organic foods in the country.
- Farmers Markets- Fairfield hosts weekly Farmers Market during May through October. Vendors offer locally grown produce, as well as baked goods and a large selection of handmade arts and crafts.
- Safety- Small towns, especially Fairfield, give the residents an overall feeling of safety. Fairfield is ranked #14 in Iowa’s Safest Cities.
Why should you move to our small town?
Buzzfeed calls Fairfield one of “11 Coolest Small Cities It’s Time To Road Trip To.” Named one of America’s best small towns to visit by Smithsonian Magazine, Fairfield is big on culture and thriving on creativity. Meditation is fuel for creativity and this has led to some truly amazing accomplishments.
One of those accomplishments includes the Fairfield Go-Green Sustainability Commission which started in 2009. It’s a community-wide plan to incorporate sustainable practices throughout the city that has resulted in many all-green buildings, and huge impacts in the areas of energy, transportation, and infrastructure. Fairfield has one of America’s largest concentrations of solar homes. For example, our EcoVillage is a community of permaculture homes that run completely on solar and wind power.
Having the option to enroll your children in the Maharishi School is reason enough to move! In October 2011, Oprah Winfrey visited Maharishi School and Fairfield to film an episode for “Oprah’s Next Chapter.”
After this experience Oprah wrote in her OWN blog, “TM teachers have taught everyone in my company who wanted to learn how to meditate. The results have been awesome. Better sleep. Improved relationships with spouses, children, coworkers. Some people who once suffered migraines don’t anymore. Greater productivity and creativity all around.”
To learn more about our academics or to contact a member of our admissions staff, click here.